Saturday, 3 May 2014

To read or to watch... that is the question!

When I got back to work this year (at a high school library) we were immediately swamped by requests of "do you have the blue book?". "Sure" I said - then asked - "What blue book???"



The Fault in Our StarsOf course the book everyone was asking for was The Fault in our Stars by John Green. Thankfully we did have 1 copy, and we quickly obtained an extra copy (along with 3 other John Green books and This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by The Fault in our Stars). 
So I decided to jump the reserve line (perks of the job!) and read this book. I immediately expected this book to be very sad given that it starts in a cancer support group for young people but having read books like My Sisters Keeper I have to say it wasn't as sad as I was expecting which was a nice changed.

I found this an easy book to read (despite the topic) and it flowed quickly. The topic of childhood cancer and death was dealt with in a matter of fact way. This book is written from a teenagers point of view and I felt it was true to that voice.

The debate at school is now - do we want to go see the movie when it comes out - or wait for the DVD so we can watch it while crying in the privacy of home???? If you want a sneak peek at the movie here is the Trailer on YouTube



There are so many YA books that are being made into movies right now and there is always a debate between readers and movie lovers as to what is better - the movie or the book - and if you have read the book was the movie true to the book or just 'very loosely' based on the book. Also did the actors they picked match what you envisaged in your head that the character's look like.

I would have to say that there are very few movies which have lived up to their books in my opinion but a few I thought did well were Jessica by , The Help by





(As a side note - this was also my Aussie Readers - March Challenge "Coming of Age Books"

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree that movies rarely live up to the book, I can say I thought the movie of The Secret Life of Bees was almost better than the book

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great movie - I haven't had a chance to read the book yet. Have you read Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman - reminds me a lot of that movie

    ReplyDelete