Sunday, 11 May 2014

Not to be read in public ... or why do I keep doing this to myself??

Most people that know me know that it doesn't take much to make me cry ... someone dying on a TV show (yes I know its not real - it doesn't make any difference!), the TAC commercials, that Quit Smoking one with the little boy lost at the train station (every time), listening to that sad song on the radio ... the list is endless but what gets me every time is reading something sad - to the point that (especially if I have been pre-warned they are sad) there are books I refuse to read in public to avoid the strange stairs and worrying glances as I sit there reading with tears pouring down my face.

This happened to me last year on a flight back from New Zealand when I watched a 'feel good' movie called 'Still Mine' starting James Cromwell and Genevieve Bujold as an older couple who just want to build their retirement home. Well by the end I had tears streaming down my face and the flight attendant (a guy) looking at me thinking "what is wrong with girl???" So needless to say I have learnt from experience that unless I am in a very dark cinema with people I trust I do not see sad movies in public - or read sad books.

Some people may say - "but why read them if they are sad?" To tell you the truth I have no answer to this, perhaps because the story interest me, because often despite being sad they are also heart warming and positive (I know that sounds like a contradiction but it's true), and maybe a bit of 'at least my life isn't that bad' thrown in. Whatever the reason I know despite the tears I will keep reading them. But if they are too sad or heartbreaking (like Cathy Glass' books) I usually try to lift things up by reading something funny (Louise Rennison is great for this!)

This brings me to the latest tear jerker I just read. I probably shouldn't of read this straight after Fault in their Stars but I was lulled into a false sense of 'dry eyes' because that wasn't as sad as I thought it would be (although thankfully I did read it at home - only strange looks from my family but that's ok!)

I first came across the name Zac Sobiech probably over a year ago when a friend from America posted a YouTube clip on Facebook of his song with his band "A Firm Handshake" called "Clouds". Followed by a 1/2 hour clip of a show on the Soul Pancake channel about Zac's life, and him saying goodbye to his family and friends. The song and video made me cry, and yes I downloaded the song (and his others) on iTunes. Zac was diagnosed with a rare cancer and when it became terminal he decided to use his talent (singing & song writing) to raise awareness and funds for cancer research.

I have to say it was hard to reading this moving book through all the tears but after seeing Zac's videos when the book came up on NetGalley I had to request and read it.

Fly a little higher by

Fly a little higherThis book is the heartfelt memoir of Zac's mother Laura from his diagnoses to the end of his battle. It is honest, heartfelt and doesn't try to gloss over anything or make it 'fluffy'. Even if you aren't religious in any way you will appreciate how both her and Zac's faith helped them through this trial and it shouldn't put you off reading.

There were a lot of tears (from me) and I often read with a lump in the my throat but I'm glad I read it.


I, like most people have lost family members to various forms of cancer, I've also seen friends struggle through it including a darling little boy who, a lot like Zac, handles it with an maturity far beyond his years. Some people may struggle to read this because of the topic.

Even if you don't read the book check out the Video of Zac's song "Clouds", the Soul Pancake Video and the book trailer at the website http://flyalittlehigher.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment